Dawn Marsh Harrier

Dawn Marsh Harrier

Tuesday 29 December 2015

Owl's well that ends well.

Well, after the previous day's non-eventfulness (is that a word? oh well it is now), a glorious sunrise had me grabbing my optics and heading for the local patch. Exciting birds are few and far between in my neck of the woods and there was no exception today but a leisurely circuit of Stockers Lake brought Goldeneye, Red Crested Pochards and whole load of Siskins merrily munching their way through the Alder mast.





Song thrushes were reciting their repertoires in the spring-like conditions and a Cetti's was shouting his head off from deep in the brambles. It was nice to bump into some old faces such as Gordon Cox and Camouflage Geoff.

Next up on the agenda was a rummage around the bank of the River Colne by Broadwater Lake. Quiet here but as always at this spot there were overwintering Chiffchaffs.





I was shouted at by another Cetti's but a festive Robin perched beside me and serenaded me altogether more sweetly.


"Ding dong merrily on high"



Home for a quick bite of lunch and then over to Heartwood Forest to meet Sharpy in the hope of some proper WOW factor birds. And we weren't disappointed.





Despite the many noisy children with their nearly as noisy parents and dogs, enjoying the bank holiday sunshine, the Short Eared Owls put on a show. Four birds in total came and went throughout the late afternoon.

Another bird enjoying the local vole population was a very confiding Kestrel.






So I didn't drive hundreds of miles, I didn't crawl through traffic jams, I didn't get wet and I saw owls.

What a difference a day makes!




No comments:

Post a Comment